1. A group of cats is referred to as a clowder.
2. Cats spend about 70% of their lives sleeping.
3. A cat has 32 muscles in its ear alone, humans only have 6.
4. Having a pet cat can reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke by 33%.
5. Each cat has a unique noseprint, much like our fingerprints.
6. The Egyptian Mau is the oldest cat breed.
7. Cats can make about 100 different vocalizations, while dogs can only make 10 or so.
8. The oldest known pet cat was discovered in a grave that was 9,500 years old.
9. Cats can run up to 49 kilometers an hour for short distances.
10. Long haired cats were bred into existence about 100 years ago, prior to this almost all cats had short hair.
Provided courtesy of the Toronto Humane Society: http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/adopt-a-pet/cats