ICRT Reiki Membership Association Code of Ethics
- Confidentiality: No information about the client will be disclosed to any third party without the written consent of the client or the parent or guardian if the client is under 18.
- Transparency: Include on your website and be willing to explain to prospective clients or students your training background, what takes place in a Reiki session, the subjects covered in your classes, the amount of time spent in sessions and classes and the fee charged.
- Integrity: Be honest in all your activities and communication.
- Support: Have a friendly, positive regard toward your clients and students and openly encourage them to heal and to do the best job possible with their Reiki practice and/or teaching program.
- Respect: Value your clients and students and treat them with respect. Never engage in any illegal or immoral activity with your clients or students. Never touch their genital area or breasts, never ask them to disrobe, and never make sexual comments, jokes or references. Abstain from the use of drugs or alcohol during all professional activities.
- Honor: Honor all Reiki practitioners and teachers regardless of lineage or organizational affiliation. Refrain from making negative statements about other Reiki practitioners or teachers.
- Educate: Inform your clients and students about the value of Reiki sessions and that they do not provide a cure and are not a substitute for care by a licensed health care provider.
- Refer: Acknowledge that Reiki works in conjunction with other forms of medical or psychological care. If a client or student has a medical or psychological condition, suggest, in addition to giving them Reiki treatments, they see a licensed health care provider.
- Non-Interference: Never diagnose medical or psychological conditions or prescribe medications. Never suggest that a client change or end dosages of substances prescribed by other licensed health care providers or suggest the client change prescribed treatment or interfere with the treatment of a licensed health care provider.
- Honesty: Never use another person's copyrighted material in your classes without permission and giving credit.
- Freedom: Encourage your students to use their own inner guidance in determining who to take classes from including the possibility of studying with more than one teacher.
- Professional Conduct: Always act in such a way so as to create and maintain a professional image for the practice of Reiki and for the ICRT Reiki Membership Association.
- Development: Be involved in the continuing process of healing yourself on all levels so as to fully express the essence of Reiki in all you do. Be in agreement with and working to fully express the Usui Ideals and the ICRT Center Philosophy.
- Gratitude: Be grateful for the gift of Reiki and for each client and student who chooses to come to you.
- Honesty and clarity in one's thinking.
- The willingness to recognize prejudice in oneself and replace it with truth and love. Compassion for those who have decided not to do this.
- Speaking the truth without judgment or blame.
- Respect for the right of others to form their own values and beliefs.
- Placing greater value on learning from experience and inner guidance than on the teachings of an authority.
- Basing the value of a theory or technique on the verifiable results it helps one achieve.
- Being open to results rather than attached to them.
- Taking personal responsibility for one's situation in life.
- Assuming that one has the resources or the ability to develop them in order to solve any problem encountered.
- Using negative, and positive experiences to heal, and grow.
- Trusting completely in the Higher Power regardless of the name one chooses to call it.
- The complete expression of Love as the highest goal.
Animal Reiki Practitioner Code of Ethics
- I believe the animals are equal partners in the healing process.
- I honor the animals as being not only my clients, but also my teachers in the journey of healing.
- I understand that all animals have physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects, to which Reiki can bring profound healing responses.
- I believe that bringing Reiki to the human/animal relationship is transformational to the human view of the animal kingdom.
- I dedicate myself to the virtues of humility, integrity, compassion and gratitude in my Reiki practice.
In working on myself, I follow these practices:
- I incorporate the Five Reiki Precepts into my daily life and Reiki practice.
- I commit myself to a daily practice of self-healing and spiritual development so that I can be a clear and strong channel for healing energy.
- I nurture a belief in the sacred nature of all beings, and in the value and depth of animalkind as our partners on this planet.
- I listen to the wisdom of my heart, remembering that we are all One.
In working in the community, I hold the following goals:
- I model the values of partnership, compassion, humility, gentleness and gratitude in my life and with the animals, teaching by example.
- I work to create professional alliances and cooperative relationships with other Reiki practitioners/teachers, animal health-care providers and animal welfare organizations in my community.
- I strive to educate my community in its understanding of the benefits of Reiki for animals.
- I continually educate myself to maintain and enhance my professional competence so that I uphold the integrity of the profession.
- I consider myself an ally to the veterinary and animal health community. I work to support their efforts in achieving animal wellness and balance. I honor other disciplines and their practitioners.
In working with the human companions of the animals, I will:
- Share information before the treatment about my healing philosophy, the Reiki healing system and what to expect in a typical treatment, as well as possible outcomes, including the possibility of healing reactions.
- Provide a clear policy ahead of time regarding fees, length of treatment and cancellation policy, as well as "postponement" policy, should the animal not want the treatment that day.
- Never diagnose. I will always refer clients to a licensed veterinarian when appropriate.
- Honor the privacy of the animals and their human companions.
- Share intuition received during Reiki treatments, with compassion and humility, for the purpose of supporting their understanding of the healing process.
- Respect the human companion's right to choose the animal's healing journey, selecting the methods, both holistic and/or conventional that he or she deems most appropriate, with the support and advice of a trusted veterinarian.
In working with the animals, I follow these guidelines:
- I work in partnership with the animal.
- I always ask permission of the animal before beginning, and respect his or her decision to accept or refuse any treatment. I listen intuitively and observe the animal's body language in determining the response.
- I allow each animal to choose how to receive his or her treatment; thus each treatment could be a combination of hands-on, short distance and/or distant healing, depending on the animal's preference.
- I let go of my expectations about how the treatment should progress and/or how the animal should behave during the treatment, and simply trust Reiki.
- I accept the results of the treatment without judgment and with gratitude toward Reiki and the animal's openness and participation in the process.
Copyright © 2007, Animal Reiki